Alex is developing a broad practice across all of Chambers’ core practice areas, including commercial litigation, international arbitration, as well as public and private international law disputes.
Before joining chambers, Alex qualified as an advocate in Cyprus, working on human rights claims before the ECtHR during his traineeship. He undertook a Blue Book Traineeship at the Contract Law Unit of the DG for Justice and Consumers (European Commission). Alex assisted the unit’s work in developing policies to remove private law obstacles for the use of smart contracts and in monitoring the implementation of the Digital Content Directive and the Sale of Goods Directive. He has also interned at the DG for Human Rights (Council of Europe).
Alex has completed his two-year military service in the Cypriot National Guard as a cadet officer and was promoted to the rank of second lieutenant by the end of his service.
Examples of the work Alex has undertaken during pupillage include:
- Assisted in the preparation of opening submissions and the pre-trial review in Deutsche Bank (London Branch) v Central Bank of Venezuela  EWHC 2040 (Comm), which dealt with the recognition of foreign judgments.
- Drafted pleadings for a number of LMAA arbitrations:
- Reply and Defence to Counterclaim regarding the breach of a time charter in circumstances where a fire broke out on the vessel during loading operations.
- Defence and Counterclaim for a dispute concerning a ship management agreement.
- Drafted opening submissions in an LMAA arbitration concerning a demurrage claim and the fault exception.
- Prepared advice on a dispute related to a vessel construction agreement.
- Prepared advice on the potential frustration of a sale of goods contract as a result of the war in Ukraine.
- Prepared advice on Article 1 ECHR and Article 1 Protocol No.1 in a claim arising out of the war in Ukraine.
- Prepared advice on a claim by an athlete against a sports governing body.
Examples of work Alex has undertaken before transferring to the Bar:
- Drafted submissions for an Article 1 Protocol No.1 claim before the ECtHR.
- Assisted in an application for a third-party debt order against the European Commission pursuant to Article 1 Protocol No.7 of the TFEU.