Clare Ambrose is a full time arbitrator with wide ranging experience in commercial arbitration. She is a leading figure in maritime and commodities arbitration with an impressive commercial practice including in ICC, LCIA and SIAC arbitration.
Before becoming a full-time arbitrator in 2017 she built up 25 years’ experience of commercial litigation as a barrister with particular expertise in international trade and energy. As arbitrator she has had over 300 appointments in international arbitrations, sitting as chair, sole and co-arbitrator. Appointments have been made under the rules of the LCIA, ICC, LMAA, SCMA, SIAC, SCC, the Swiss Arbitration Centre and UNCITRAL, and also on an ad hoc basis.
Clare’s practice as an international arbitrator covers a wide field, which includes areas such as shipbuilding, offshore facilities, aviation, banking services, construction projects, distribution and licensing agreements, entertainment, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, competition law, professional negligence, share purchase agreements and joint ventures.
She is a full member of the LMAA, Fellow of CIArb and a Centre for Dispute Resolution (CEDR) accredited mediator, and was appointed a Deputy High Court Judge in 2018. She is a member of the ICC Commission and the UK ICC National Committee and is a coordinator on the current ICC Taskforce on issues of corruption in international arbitration.
She frequently lectures on arbitration issues and is co-author of the leading textbook on shipping arbitration, London Maritime Arbitration (4th edn, Informa 2017).
- Several LCIA appointments for disputes arising out of share purchase agreements, e.g. in property development, over a Russian energy company.
- President in ICC arbitration about contract between a satellite operator providing exclusive use of capacity on new satellites.
- PCA panel appointment in dispute relating to telecom services agreement under UNCITRAL Rules.
- Sole arbitrator appointed by LCIA under contract for world-renowned opera singer to give televised concert.
- Sole arbitrator in two DIFC-LCIA arbitrations relating to exclusive distribution agreement between mobile phone manufacturer and distributors for Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- ICC nominated sole arbitrator under dispute between luxury car manufacturer and distributor relating to long term exclusive distribution in Turkey.
- Sole arbitrator in ICC arbitration about distribution agreement between French lighting producer and Israeli distributor.
- Tribunal chair in dispute under distribution agreement between UK pharmaceutical manufacturer and Russian pharmaceutical licensee/ distributor.
- Party nominated tribunal member in ICC dispute between pharmaceutical companies relating to distribution of contact lens products.
- Sole arbitrator appointed by Chair of the UK Bar Council in dispute relating to licensing of bio-pharmaceutical intellectual property.
- Party nominated tribunal member in DIFC-LCIA dispute concerning joint venture to provide occupational health services clinics in Middle East.
- Party nominated tribunal member in LCIA dispute relating to acquisition of a chain of care homes across the UK.
- Sole arbitrator in claim against valuers for professional negligence.
- Sole arbitrator appointed by LCIA under airport services agreement between budget airline and airport operator, including claim for abuse of a dominant market position.
- Party nominated arbitrator in LCIA dispute under sale of a private jet.
- Appointed as presiding arbitrator in LCIA arbitration relating to damage to passenger aircraft at an airport.
Banking and financial services
- Presiding arbitrator in €50 million LCIA dispute under guarantee and indemnity agreement between Russian bank and beneficial owners of Eastern European retail group.
- Sole arbitrator appointed by LCIA under three international credit insurance policies.
- Party nominated arbitrator in €400 million LCIA dispute under loan agreement, involving Russian sanctions.
- ICC nominated sole arbitrator under dispute between two banks relating to an international money transfer system used in Africa.
- Appointed as presiding arbitrator in LCIA arbitration relating to share acquisition agreement relating to two Russian banks.
- Sole arbitrator appointed by LCIA in two linked claims (worth US$80 million) under guarantee governed by Ghanaian law given by telecommunication company to South African lender to secure finance for 4G roll out in Ghana.
Energy and natural resources
- Presiding arbitrator in LCIA dispute under joint operation agreement for oil and gas exploration in Eastern Europe.
- Sole arbitrator in ICC dispute with Singapore seat arising out long term agreements for the generation and sale of electricity in Pakistan.
- Numerous appointments as sole, co-arbitrator or chair in disputes (including LCIA, SIAC, ICC, HKIAC, ad hoc) relating to supply agreements for oil, gas, coal and metal ores.
- ICC appointed tribunal chair under services agreement for oil and gas plants in Libya.
- Party nominated arbitrator in ICC arbitration (Paris seat) under contract governed by Spanish law relating to development of wind farms for production of electricity in Spain.
- ICC appointed panel member in dispute relating to consultancy for drilling services in Libya.
- Party nominated panel member in SCC arbitration relating to supply of turbine equipment for construction of power plant near
- ICC appointed sole arbitrator in US$30 million dispute between French multinational and Texan start up relating to fuel delivery technology.
- Party nominated arbitrator in LCIA €20 million dispute relating to long term contract for supply of electricity in Italy.
- Counsel in MRI Trading AG v Erdenet Mining Corp LLC  EWHC 1988 (Comm);  2 Lloyd’s Rep 465;  EWCA Civ 156;  1 Lloyd’s Rep 638.
Shipbuilding / offshore construction / construction
- Party appointed arbitrator under DIAC rules under contract for building of semi-submersible rigs for state entity.
- Chair in DIAC arbitration under UNCITRAL rules in dispute under guarantee relating to drill rig unit in Alaska.
- Presiding arbitrator in €18 million LCIA dispute relating to upgrade of FPSO.
- Tribunal chair in US$20 million shipbuilding dispute between Chinese yard and German shipping group for purchase and construction of four vessels.
- Chair in two arbitrations relating to construction of two new design LNG carriers.
- LCIA appointed tribunal chair under large scale contract for upgrading floating semi-submersible platform.
- Party appointed arbitrator in dispute between a European yard and the buyer involving a US$20 million luxury motor yacht (LMAA).
- Emergency arbitrator appointed by LCIA in dispute about construction of fishing vessels in Vietnam.
- Tribunal chair in €40 million claim under a shipbuilding contract to build a vessel for a Scandinavian buyer.
- Presiding arbitrator in ICC dispute relating to supply of low and high voltage cables for a construction project in Nigeria.
- Sole arbitrator appointed by LCIA under contract for design and installation of a chemical plant in the UAE.
- Co-arbitrator in ICC dispute under EPC contract relating to a hydrocarbon terminal expansion project in Amsterdam.
Shipping and commodities
- Numerous appointments under charterparties, bills of lading, ship management agreements, ship sales, brokerage agreements and contracts of affreightment (typically LMAA or ad hoc, also EMAC, HKIAC, SIAC, SCMA, Swiss Arbitration Centre and UNCITRAL rules).
- Several appointments as chair and panel arbitrator in disputes concerning sale of superyachts, including several relating to issues arising out of COVID 19 restrictions
- Numerous appointments (typically LCIA, also SIAC and HKIAC) under trading agreements, typically oil, gas, coal, steel, metals, metal ores and soft commodities.
- Several appointments relating to consequences of insolvency of bunker operator.
- Sole arbitrator in substantial multi-party ad hoc arbitration dispute concerning series of ship sales.
- Tribunal chair in US$35 million claim arising out of loss of bulk carrier vessel and lives of 18 crew members.
- Tribunal chair in US$18 million claim arising out of hijack of tanker by pirates.
- Sole arbitrator appointed by LCIA under services agreement for ship management and investment advice.
- Party nominated LCIA arbitrator under joint venture for supply of cocoa and coffee beans from Cote d’Ivoire.
- Tribunal chair in US$9 million claim arising out of explosion on tanker (ad hoc).
- Appointed by DIFC/LCIA as sole arbitrator in trading dispute, issued first award by DIFC/LCIA. Its enforcement by the Dubai Court of Cassation in Appeal No 132/2012, Airmech Dubai LLC v Macsteel International LLC  was a landmark development for Dubai’s role as an arbitration centre.
- LCIA/DIFC appointed tribunal member in technical management dispute between Emirates company and owners of liquefied gas tanker.
- Counsel in Transgrain Shipping BV v Deuilemar Shipping SPA (The “Eleni P”)  EWHC 4202 (Comm);  1 Lloyd’s Rep 12.
- Counsel in Louis Dreyfus Trading v Reliance Trading 2 Lloyd’s Rep 243.