Michael serves as arbitrator in high-value, complex international disputes. His specialities include energy/oil and gas, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, major projects/construction, investor-state disputes and bilingual arbitration proceedings (English/Chinese).
He has served as arbitrator in more than 300 cases sited in Asia, Europe and North America under both ad hoc and institutional rules. Michael is an accredited arbitrator of the major international arbitration institutions worldwide.
Resident in Asia (China/Hong Kong/Japan) for more than 30 years, Michael has special expertise in relation to disputes involving Asian sovereigns and commercial parties. He has served as Council Member and Chairman of the HKIAC, Court member of the LCIA, and Board member of the SCC. He currently sits as a member of the Board of the SIAC and the VIAC. Michael has been honoured by Chambers Global for his contributions to arbitration in Asia.
He was ranked by Chambers Global 2019 as a “Star Individual” and one of the “Most in Demand Arbitrators” worldwide.
Example cases and appointments
- Chairman in a PCA arbitration involving claims against an Asian State commenced under three different investor-state treaties.
- Chairman in an SCC arbitration in Stockholm involving claims against a European State under the Energy Charter Treaty.
- Chairman in an ICC arbitration in Manila involving private claims against the Philippine Government.
- Chairman in an ad hoc gas pricing arbitration in Zurich between Central Asian and Russian State entities.
- Chairman in an ICSID arbitration dealing with mining claims against Peru.
- Chairman in a SIAC arbitration in Singapore involving a dispute pertaining to coalbed methane deposits in mainland China.
- Chairman in an ICC arbitration in Seoul involving concession rights granted by the Korean Government.
- Chairman in an ICC arbitration in Singapore involving oil and gas deposits in Indonesia.
- Co-arbitrator in an arbitration at The Hague under a bilateral investment treaty between an Asian government and a European corporation.
- Co-arbitrator in an ICC arbitration in London involving a cross-shareholding dispute between German and Japanese automobile manufacturers.
- Chairman in an ICC arbitration in Hong Kong between a Singapore company and respondents from Taiwan and Mainland China in relation to the construction of a semiconductor facility for the Russian Government.
- Chairman in an UNCITRAL arbitration in Hong Kong between a Canadian listed company and a mainland Chinese company in relation to a mining concession in Mongolia.
- Chairman in an UNCITRAL arbitration in Thailand between a European multinational and a Thai company under a license agreement.
- Chairman in a HKIAC arbitration in Hong Kong between a private equity group and a PRC-government body involving alleged expropriation of interests in an infrastructure project.
- Chairman in a SIAC arbitration in Singapore between a Danish multinational and a Philippines company relating to an energy project in the Philippines.