Contact Sarah directly: email@example.com
Sarah joined Twenty Essex in August 2022 as a full-time arbitrator. She has over 20 years of experience in international commercial, investment treaty, and public international law dispute resolution proceedings.
She has built an impressive professional network spanning Europe, the United Kingdom, Asia Pacific (particularly Hong Kong, Mainland China, Singapore, South Korea), Russia, North America, and Australasia.
From 2016 to 2022, Sarah served in the highly public role of Secretary-General of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) during which time it was ranked the third most preferred institution in the world. Prior to that, she spent a decade at the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) in The Hague where she administered complex inter-State, investor-State, and contractual disputes involving States, State entities, and intergovernmental organisations.
Sarah has also worked at the ICC International Court of Arbitration (ICC) in Paris administering hundreds of commercial cases under the ICC Rules of Arbitration. Prior to that she worked at Shearman & Sterling LLP in Paris and in private practice in New Zealand.
Appointments in International arbitration and other proceedings
- Presiding Arbitrator, PCA-administered UNCITRAL Rules arbitration under a bilateral investment treaty commenced by a claimant against a Latin American State.
- Presiding arbitrator, HKIAC arbitration between Hong Kong and German parties under Hong Kong law, Hong Kong seat.
- Presiding arbitrator, SIAC arbitration between Hong Kong parties under Singaporean law – Singapore seat.
- Presiding arbitrator, SIAC arbitration between Spanish, Singaporean, and Indian parties under Indian law, Singapore seat.
- Co-arbitrator, HKIAC arbitration between parties from the Seychelles and St. Kitts and Nevis under Seychelles law, Hong Kong seat.
- Co-arbitrator, ICC arbitration between Korean and French companies under French law, Paris seat.
- Sole Panellist, ADNDRC domain name dispute under ICANN Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy commenced by global fashion company against Hong Kong entity.
- Disciplinary Board Member, Special Tribunal for Lebanon Disciplinary Board for Defence Counsel and Victim Representatives (2015-2017).
- Tribunal Member, Appeal Board of the Permanent Court of Arbitration (2014-2016).
- Registrar, The Arctic Sunrise Arbitration (The Netherlands v Russian Federation) (UNCLOS) (2014).
- Registrar, The Duzgit Integrity Arbitration (Malta v. São Tomé e Príncipe) (UNCLOS) (2013).
- Secretary, Review Panel Established under the Convention on the Conservation and Management of High Seas Fishery Resources in the South Pacific Ocean (involving Russia, Chile, Chinese Taipei, EU, New Zealand) (2013).
- Registrar, The ARA Libertad Arbitration (Argentina v Ghana) (UNCLOS) (2012).